Thursday, July 2, 2015

The day Bailey got stitches 06.25.2015 - Pics & Video

This is one post I don't care to write. I only do it to look back and remember when things take place...like a baby book.
--
If it were going to happen, it couldn't have happened at a better time. Brayden & Bailey already had their baths and we just finished dinner. The kids were running around. I was wiping the table off. I had already told them to stop running and of course they didn't. They were running in a circle from the kitchen to the living room to the dining room. They decided to change it up and run under the table when Bailey hit her head. At the time, I thought she had hit something in the leaf under the table. Little did I know, she had hit the corner of one of the chairs. {I didn't know this til we got back from the ER. Brayden & Bailey both told me she hit the chair and Bailey actually showed me where she hit it.} Luckily, I was standing right there when it happened. She cried. I picked her up and immediately saw blood. Blood. I don't like seeing blood...especially when it's my own kids. It was gushing out. I carried her to the kitchen sink and grabbed a dirty washcloth...then immediately ran to the bathroom for a clean wet cloth. I called Brandon and told him to get back right away {he had gone to help our neighbor with something}...Bailey had hit her head and was bleeding and I thought she might need stitches. I couldn't really tell how bad it was until I took a peek after holding the cloth on it. I had Brayden hold pressure on her head while I ran and unlocked the front door for daddy. Brandon got back within a few minutes and then we were off to the ER. I think I stayed pretty calm considering the situation and I was here by myself.. Brandon may beg to differ. :)'

By the time we got to the ER, it had already stopped bleeding. The cut wasn't extremely bad....but it was a gash and it was at a terrible spot.
{Below: Video}
While we were waiting patiently, I caught Bailey on video saying this...
{We really didn't wait that long. They had us in a room in no time.}
We waited on the doctor a few minutes. He gave us the option of glue or stitches. He said he had done glue before on kids, but then they have had to come back and get it glued again. He didn't think it was a good idea considering where Bailey's cut was. We agreed. He then recommended the dissolving sutures. Even though we hated to put Bailey thru it, we thought it was the best as far as healing and possible scarring. So, we went with it. Brandon took Brayden out since we knew he would get upset when Bailey got upset.
I stayed in the room with Bailey. They actually let me lay on the bed beside her. I layed there with my arms wrapped around her trying to comfort her. It was horrible. I buried my head into the side of hers and just kept talking to her. 

She had 4 nurses and a doctor. They wrapped her up in a blanket to hold her arms down. After a few minutes of trying to put in the the dissolvable stitches, they realized how strong this girl really was. The doctor actually looked up at me one time and said "she's strong." {Well, yeah. Future linebacker.}

They wrapped her in another blanket. Tighter this time. Then, decided on good 'ol regular stitches. It was not a fun experience. Bailey screamed and cried the whole time. The poor child was drenched in sweat by the time her stitches were in. I hope and pray we never go thru anything like this again. 

Thank God we survived. 

After a popsicle from the nurse, we were well on our way home.
The stitches had to stay in for 5 days. Brandon and I actually took them out on Thursday. I didn't know we had it in us. ;) Maybe Brandon. Not me. Brayden & Bailey took an unexpected nap Thursday evening. Brandon sterilized. I did the tweezers. Brandon snipped and I pulled them out. Easy peasy. I couldn't believe how they just came right out. Now, the hard part. Staying away from the beach and pool for 2 weeks. Yikes. {Fortunately....we can play outside. Bailey just has to wear a hat.}
We're already having withdrawals from the beach. One more week. We got this. ;)

1 comment:

MegnHarry said...

Poor Bailey! I'm with you on the whole blood thing. I try my best not to freak out, but I HATE seeing blood coming from one of my babies. It sounds like you were a strong mama! Glad its all behind you and hope you don't have to deal with anything like that in the near future….or ever! :-)